The city of Orvieto is located in the south-western Umbria, in the province of Terni, bordering the province of Viterbo in Lazio. Orvieto is established on a tuff cliff, 325 meters above sea level, overlooking the valley below where the rivers Paglia and Chiani flow just before joining the Tiber river. This huge platform of brownish volcanic tuff, which is raised from twenty to fifty feet from the floor of the campaign, was created by the eruptions of some volcanoes, which deposited huge quantities of materials.

Orvieto offers a wide range of natural and architectural beauty, first of all the Cathedral; built in 1263, after the Miracle of the Blood which flowed from the Holy Bread while a Bohemian priest celebrated Mass in the Basilica of Santa Cristina in Bolsena. After the Miracle, was immediately informed Pope Urban IV who came from Orvieto to see the blood on the bodyplate (corporale) and on the stones, still preserved nowadays in the Basilica of Santa Cristina in Bolsena.
The Cappella del Santissimo Corporale was built to house the relic of the miracle of Bolsena in 1350.

After the erection of the Cathedral of Orvieto for over a century, after the walls  of the Cappella del Santissimo Corporale were painted by famous artists, the artist Beato Angelico was commissioned to illustrate the bare of Cappella di San Brizio. Beato  Angelico began then his work by the second bay of the cappella with the splendid figure of Christ the Judger and the sail of the Prophets, but immediately the work was permanently discontinued for unknown reasons. Luca Signorelli was to achieve fulfillment in Cappella di San Brizio, with a decorative traditional fresco.

Another marvel of Orvieto is the Pozzo di San Patrizio, with a circular section. almost 62 meters depth and about 13.40 meters wide. It owes its name to the irish abyss where St. Patrick used to pray. The construction of the well began after 1527 and during that time, the Pope ordered the construction of tanks and wells to ensure autonomy to the city water supply in case of invasion. The most important would be the one in the service of the Rocca, whose project was entrusted to Antonio da Sangallo, architect of confidence of the Pope. Conception of the Well was based on a double helix structure, able to reach sources in over 50 meters depth and to allow the surface transportation of water without hindrance for men and mules. The mining operations were performed at the sources of San Zeno at the foot of the cliff. The work continued under the direction of Giovan Battista da Cortona and ended in 1537, under Pope Paul III (Alessandro Farnese) who ordered to crown the outer cylinder of the well with the Farnese lilies witness to his presence in Orvieto.

Two diametrically opposite doors give access to two spiral staircases, one for the descent and the other for the lift, designed so as to be independent and not communicating with each other. Each staircase has 248 steps that, in the past, allowed the beasts of burden to easily reach the bottom, where it is placed a wooden bridge above the water level. Once filling operation were complete people were used to cross the bridge and bear up the other side without getting in the way to others engaged in the descent. The Well is lit by 70 windows from which you can look out and see its depth.